Cyberbullying

Justicerice

I think cyberbullying is so common these days and it had happened to me many times. People making fun of you for being a certain gender, certain race and certain nationality is being too common. Sometimes it is also about you having an uninteresting online personality. One of my friends with autism was called a 'retard' by people which had a huge impact on his mental health. What is your take on it? Share some advice for the fellow teens using this site.

I always ignore such comments and stay away from replying to them. As most times replying creates more drama.

I agree, it’s better not to engage when someone makes a bunch of snide comments about you based on gender, race, nationality, etc. The things that they are saying are often based on stereotypes, as they are attacking aspects of who you are which can often be applied to a large group of people. Because of this, these kinds of insults hold little power (at least in my eyes) and often reflect poorly on the person who delivers them rather than the one of whom receives them.

My advice is, instead of taking their foolish insults to heart, remind yourself of how immature this person is being for resorting to cyberbullying— rather than being open to the opportunity to learn about someone else who may be different from them in some regards.

Sure, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But when those opinions morph into bullying someone else, who has not done anything to provoke such behaviour, then it is simply inexcusable. If this harassment continues on even after you have chosen not to engage with the aggressor, I would suggest reporting their comments to the moderation team because bullying that cannot be solved by the “ignore” button is breaking the rules (to my knowledge, anyway).

I hope this can provide a potential solution to some cases of cyberbullying. Take care out there!

Yes, it is all wrong. I agree too. Bullying and harassment is no acception. I've been bullied lots of times too. What I do, is I don't take it to heart and I speak up to them, and if that doesn't work, then I tell the people who are in charge.

I hope this helped too. Take care and stay safe! 💜